Friday, July 17, 2009

Haines Alaska

Got in late with daylight still... 10:00 PM

This is best ferry trip so far
Haines is without a doubt the most beautiful to see from the seas and on land it is just a town... very little in the way of cruise ship tourists.
One dock
No cruise ships

Anyway I pulled out of the ferry last night and made a right turn and drove about two miles until I found a wide turnout on the ocean.
Slept like a baby even with an occasional vehicle driving buy.
The wine on the ferry helped I'm sure
Oh! I had my first taste of fresh Alaska Cod for dinner.
Awesome fish...

anyway

I posted once that the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert would be hard to beat.
Its a tie now... this trip had all us shutter bugs walking the decks ooooing and awwwwing for the last hour.
One poor guy was upset that his camera batteries ran out and he had no spare.
I should talk.
I put in a 4gig mem and run out of room! (I am shooting jpg plus raw plus taking bracketed shots for high dynamic range imaging later)
But I have and extra 4 gig so no big thing (????pun???)
Tonight I am going to go south and stay on the highway again... I sort of like that independence.
Drive
stop
sleep

Drove down to south end of road today and took a few pictures.
The saltwater is aqua from the glacier feed and it makes for some stunning panoramas.


Had lunch on the wharf at the lighthouse restaurant.
I ordered their special, a Philly cheese steak
It was about three inches of bell pepper, 1/8" cheese, 1/8" beef.
Horrible... but I ate it.
While eating I kept getting a "utah" buzz from the crowd.... bzzzzz. utah bzzzzzz
maybe six times I heard it and after the third or forth time I could zero in on who was saying it.
As I left I stopped by the table and asked, "are you from Utah?"
Well they were of course.
I'll have to listen to my audio to get their names as I recorded them when I got in my truck.
Turns out they were from Parawan, a little town north of Cedar City and they (he) was discussing deer hunting with some locals and "utah" was obviously his deer hunting expertize.

Its a small world (but I wouldn't want to paint it)


No comments:

Post a Comment