Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The 2009 Alaksa loop

The trip is pretty well set and cant vary much due to the requirement to purchase ferry space. My rig is 34' long which results in two things. 1) it is not real cheap 2) it is hard for the Ferry operators to assign space on the boats. The good part is that it is narrow compared to an equivalent length motor home so perhaps they can squeeze me in among the cars.

Following the map shown I arrive in Prince Rupert from Utah (2000 miles) and begin the ferry trip. The map shows a clockwise loop ending in Kitwanga. I'll spend two days at every port with the exception of Prince of Wales Island where I will stay four days. After Skagway I will meander at my leisure and once again see the prettiest part of British Columbia, the Cassiar.





Another note about the Cassiar Highway. It is a shorter distance than the Alaskan Highway. From Prince George to Watson Lake is 1390 Kilometers (864 miles). By going the Cassiar the distance is cut by 166 Kilometers (103 miles).
The last time I went there were short stretches of very well maintained gravel portions of the highway. It could be all paved soon.. I hope not too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment