Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Firearms

I have often heard that you cannot bring firearms into Canada but in fact some firearms are allowed. So I am taking my shotgun.

I went online to the RCMP web site and cruised until I found the links.
The main RCMP page

Fact Sheet, "I am a gun user entering Canada"

And this quoted from the publication http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html#P002

"Non-restricted firearms include:

* semi-automatic rifles and shotguns with barrels that are at least 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and do not otherwise fall into a restricted or prohibited category; and
* single-shot or manual repeating rifles and shotguns of any length, as long as they are not designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means.

Restricted firearms include:

* most handguns;
* semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that are capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition, have barrels between 105 mm (4.14 inches) and 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and are not otherwise prohibited;
* firearms designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means; and
* firearms restricted by regulations.

Prohibited firearms include:

* handguns with barrels less than or equal to 105 mm (4.14 inches) long;
* handguns designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32-calibre cartridge;
* firearms adapted from rifles or shotguns by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, that, when adapted in this way, are less than 660 mm (26 inches) long or have a barrel that is less than 457 mm (18.5 inches) long;
* automatic firearms, whether or not altered to fire in the manner of a semi-automatic firearm; and
* firearms prohibited by regulations."


When I talked to the RCMP by phone she absolutely assured me that it was ok to bring a shotgun... she wanted to know which Province I was going through with the shotgun and I said BC and she said download and fill out this forum and declare with it at the border. And I have done so. Although I have not gotten to the border yet.

So it MAY be different for different Provinces... all I know is I am probably clear through BC on my Alaska trip.

Addendum: the shotgun is to take with me when I go fishing alone... like way up a stream or something. If I encounter wildlife and I feel it is necessary I will shoot off a round or too to scare it away.

2 comments:

  1. Curious, which shotgun did you choose to take? i came to same conclusion on my Alaska trip, leaving in a few weeks up Alcan Highway. Your Blog is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking a six round 12 ga pump. The only other one I had was a 410 bolt action. Have fun on the ALCAN.

    ReplyDelete