Friday, May 29, 2009

My gear

Hi! I've been very busy modifying the Casita and my pickup for the trip... looking forward to fishing. The Kitimat area should be good for steel head and King Salmon when I'm there in late June. Chum and pink should be good too. I'll use my 9' 20/300 light saltwater rig and hope I dont hook a 40lb fish. I am also bringing my light fresh water spinning rig and will wet-fly and lure for cutthroats and rainbow when the water is right... like on a lake in my Kayak. Fishing should remain the same (salmon/trout) all the way up the ferry-coast with Dolly Varden (below) being available in Wrangell right at the dock where the cruise ships tie up. Imagine tossing a spinner across the bow of the Island Princess and pulling in a five pound Dolly... imagine that!





My camera system has changed completely over the last year. I have a new Canon EOS 450-D/XSi. 12 mp that has a huge and very readable lcd screen! Gone are menus I cannot see in daylight.

The jewel of this trip is the Canon 100-400 f4.5. I don't do much wildlife photography but since I am going to Alaska, this one is going to get a lot of use.



My walk-around lens is the canon ef 28-135 f3.5... very very good up to f5.6

I keep this cheap Tamron 70-300 f4 around just for the stand up macro for stuff... things on the ground I want to capture but don't want to kneel down (I still have problems with knee replacement). This lens is an awful telephoto but a pretty reasonable zoom macro.



The wide angle is the same one. 18-55 f3.5 Canon

1 comment:

  1. This has to be fun. Take good shots.

    Will

    ReplyDelete