Sunday, June 21, 2009

Casita?







When I retired I got into some volunteer work with the Bureau of Land Management and the National Monument and it seemed natural to gravitate towards the Arizona Site Steward program. Arizona is just one mile away so there is not much differentiation geographically and the program offered some new ways to assist the environment. This program is designed to help protect cultural resources like Anasazi ruins and rock art. Well I took the Rogerlesky course and even though I barely passed they gave me some sites to look after anyway.

I cant tell you where the sites are but I can tell you that getting to them and back is an all day drive on Tuweep like roads and I would have been better served if I could camp out overnight while I was there. So a trailer was in order.

I had a Subaru Forester then and bought a nice lightweight trailer to pull: The Aliner. It was a fun camper but the roads out here just beat it to death so I sold the Forester and the Aliner and bought the Ranger and the Casita. This is a far more rugged combination for these roads which are the nastiest imaginable. With that in mind I have virtually no apprehension that Alaska can present anything tire-slashing-tougher than we have here in Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. Yes that is a serous statement :)

******************************************************** Addendum
The path to Tuweep is 60 miles one way over rock strewn roads.
Think of five hours of driving over much worse than this: Youtube video
That is only one example and doesn't include the sharp shale and lava fields.
Tuweep and back is at least a six tire trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment